Alan and Ann Simpson
After being admitted to the Wyoming Bar and the United States District Court in 1958, and serving for a short time as a Wyoming assistant attorney general, Alan K. Simpson joined his father, Milward L. Simpson, and later Charles G. Kepler, in the law firm of Simpson, Kepler and Simpson in his hometown of Cody. He would practice law there for the next eighteen years. During that time, Simpson was very active in all civic, community and state activities. He also served ten years as City Attorney.
Simpson was elected in 1964 to the Wyoming State Legislature as a state representative of his native Park County. He served for the next thirteen years in the Wyoming House of Representatives, holding the offices of majority whip, majority floor leader and speaker pro tempore. Simpson served from 1979 to 1997 as a United States senator from Wyoming. Following his first term in the Senate, Simpson was elected by his peers to the position of the assistant majority leader in 1984, and served in that capacity until 1994.
From January of 1997 until June of 2000, Simpson was a Visiting Lecturer. For two years, he was the director of the Institute of Politics at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government. During the Fall of 2000 he returned to his Alma Mater, the University of Wyoming, as a visiting lecturer in the Political Science Department and continues to part time-team teach there with his brother Peter. He is also a partner in the Cody firm of Simpson, Kepler and Edwards, the Cody division of the Denver firm of Burg Simpson Eldredge, Hersh and Jardine. He continues to serve on numerous corporate and non-profit boards and travels the country giving speeches. His book published by William Morrow Company, Right in the Old Gazoo: A Lifetime of Scrapping with the Press, chronicles his personal experiences and views of the Fourth Estate.
Ann Schroll Simpson, a Greybull, Wyoming native, met her husband Alan at the University of Wyoming where both were members of the Student Senate. Upon graduation in 1953 she taught third grade at Hebard School in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Ann believed strongly in public service and immersed herself in responding to the needs of her church and community, teaching Sunday school, serving on the Vestry of Christ Episcopal Church, chairing a Thursday church school, serving as Chairman of the Bargain Box Thrift Store, and serving on countless community committees. As president of the Cody branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW), she organized a book sale that continues today, and began a book study group and a legislative study group.
While living in Washington, Ann filled her days with constituent activities, social responsibilities, as co-chairman of the Congressional Wives Mental Health Committee and as a board member and two-year president of the University of Wyoming Art Museum Board, and an active fund-raiser for the Art Mobile, which had been her brain child.Ann continues to serve on the board of the Wyoming Art Museum and on the Park County Mental Health Board.