Thompson Writing Awards Deadline
Fifteenth Annual Thompson Awards for Western American Writing
Seven $500 prizes will be awarded to CU-Boulder students in the Spring of 2014 for writings on Western American topics.
We invite submissions in the following categories*:
- Academic Nonfiction – Graduate Level: research papers*
- Academic Nonfiction – Undergraduate Level: research papers*
- Fiction – Graduate Level: including short stories and excerpts of novels, plays, and screenplays*
- Fiction – Undergraduate Level: including short stories and excerpts of novels, plays, and screenplays*
- Poetry: single poems only (no collections) – open to students at all levels of study
- Memoir: autobiographical essays – open to students at all levels of study
- Creative Nonfiction: journalism, journalistic essays, and writing aimed at a wide general audience – open to students at all levels of study
*Due to a high volume of entries and the time constraints of the judging process, the Center of the American West strongly urges contestants to submit what they consider to be their best work, especially for longer pieces. Submitting complete theses, dissertations, novels, plays, screenplays, and other lengthy writings may inhibit judging panels from easily identifying the most compelling aspect of a submission. Contestants might consider briefly contextualizing excerpted entries.
For more information regarding rules and entry procedures visit the Thompson Awards page.